Skip to main content
Silence in Japan


I'm a Japanese lives in Tokyo.

Today, let's mention the silence of Japanese.



Japanese is thought to be silent.

It’s almost true.


Everyday, I use railway or subway.

Actually, most of all passengers keep silent.


Why?



Of course, keeping silent in a public transportaion is one of social manner in Japan.

In addition to this, It might be from our virtue.

Since ancient time, we/Japanese have  found beauty, art, etc. in silence.

For example, Zen, Japanese caligraphy, Cha-no-yu, Iai-dou...in typical Japanese tradition,

silence play a important role of motion.




Further, silence is obligation during wedding/farewell ceremony,

it is even sacred for us.


Me?


I also feel comfortable in silence.



When you come to Japan and talk loudly in public, we/Japanese perhaps

direct a questioning look at you.

But, please don't think that we/Japanese don't hate your personality.

We/Japanese just want you to keep silent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God × 8,000,000 = 8 million Gods...?

What is "8 million Gods" in Japan?  Japanese religous outlook perhaps seems to be caos or complicated, doesn't it?  Don't worry guys.
A Manner in Celebration for Wedding Are you married? I'm still single. On the other hand, most of my friends have gotten married. Thus, I've celebrated soooo many friends so far!  In this weekend also, I'll return to my home town for my old dear friend's wedding. Here, let me introduction a Japanese manner in celebration for wedding. Source: https://askul.c.yimg.jp/img/product/3L1/981821_3L1.jpg